Part 491rm - Smith Robertson Genealogy - 1880 Marriage - Alexander Pirie Robertson and Elizabeth Charlotte Merrifield

10 April 2011

Good Early Morning,

One never knows what one may find if one just takes the time and looks… I suppose this is the credo of the great majority of persons who are and consider themselves obsessive genealogists. All-things-being equal I didn’t just “click on a leaf.”

On an impulse I thought I would see if I could find any document relating to the 1880 marriage of my great-grandparents Alexander and Elizabeth Charlotte (née Merrifield) Robertson. The past couple of days my focus has been on this generation of my Robertson Branch in my Family Tree.

Previously, in Part 80m, I had posted images of the record of the Banns of their 1880 Marriage which noted that the Banns had been published April 11th, 18th, and 25th consecutively. In the far right on the page there was a written note that I was not too sure of my transcription. I wrote, at the time “St. Pauls of Shoreditch”. I'm still not certain of the writing.

The subsequent “Certified Copy of An Entry of Marriage”, also posted in Part 80m, which I received from the General Register Office has recorded that the “Marriage solemnized at the Parish Ch in the Parish of Holy Trinity Hoxton in the County of Middlesex”. Also from the Certified Copy it is recorded that my great-grandparents were “Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by ---- or after Banns by me, Bradley Hurst Alford”.


From Page 244 from the London Metropolitan Archives, Holy Trinity, Hoxton, Register of Marriages, P91/TR1, Item 012 the same two lines are recorded

Marriage solemnized at The Parish Church in the Parish of Holy Trinity Hoxton in the County of Middlesex” and “Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church by ---- or after Banns by me, Bradley Hurst Alford.


The above inserted image is of Holy Trinity Hoxton, 3 Bletchley Street, Hackney, Greater London, England. It is possible that this is the Church at where great-grandparents Alexander and Elizabeth were married. The second image is of Holy Trinity Hoxton taken from Alford Place, which of course just happens to be the same name as of the person who married great-grandparents.

And just one other point, the signatures the appear in the Registration appear to be possible actual signatures of each party concerned, including great-grandparents Alexander Pirie Robertson and Elizabeth Charlotte Merrifield. One of the witnesses signatures appears to be that of great-grandaunt Harriet Ann Merrifield, one of great-grandmother Elizabeth's sisters.

Who knows what I may find, when I look?

Enjoy,

Jim

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Please Note: All information and data... and work found on this blogsite and website is available for your use. Please do not be a "scab" and steal this information without acknowledgement of source. Also pleased be advised that there could be Copyright issues and legal yada...yadada...das... so be prewarned...

A Genealogy Hunt Copyright © 2009-2016 - WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template